This week’s instalment of Bristots is about a fabulous free farm local to us in Kingswood. Grimsbury Farm has quickly become a life saver to me as Ted has become more active and in need of a run around. This is the perfect place to blow away the cobwebs whatever the weather and we have found ourselves here on many an afternoon. It is a great place to meet friends too, with ample parking and a lovely little cafe. Barn Cafe is run by volunteers and a lovely way to finish your trip round the farm with a tasty coffee or an ice cream treat depending on the season. Alternatively, you can take your own trust lunchbox and flask and make use of the picnic area that the farm has to offer. You really can make it a totally free afternoon out.
When we go to the farm Ted is usually dressed in a puddlesuit, wellies and wearing his backpack with reins so that he can explore without running off. He loved it when there were a drove of piglets at the farm and oinked for days afterwards. There is always a rather giant male pig in the fields, sheep, cows, donkies and horses. There is also a section with rabbits, guinea pigs and some birds, as well as a pond with lots of ducks. Plenty of animals to keep the little ones interested and plenty of space if, like Ted, they need to run around!
If all that wasn’t enough, there is play park with swings, slides and lots of other things to play on. It really is perfect for toddlers and young children. There are many community farms dotted over Bristol – look out for more reviews and a link up coming soon!
- Where is Grimsbury Farm? Grimsbury Road, Bristol BS15 9SE
- When is it open? It’s open all year round every day from dawn ’til dusk
- How much does it cost? Not a penny!
- What facilities are on site? a cafe, toilets, a picnic area, a play area
- Is it pushchair/wheelchair accessible? Yes – there is a slight hill to get up to the main part of the farm but it is easily navigated
- Is there parking? Free parking on site and when it is busy (half-term/weekends) you can park on the surrounding residential roads
We love popping to the farm and feel very lucky to have it right on our door step. Have you been to Grimsbury Farm? Let us know what you think in the comments below! Xx